The series of Congresses CHISA taking place in the centre of Europe started in 1962 in Brno, Czech Republic, then continued in Marianske Lazne, and since 1972 the Congresses have been held in Prague. However, it is worth mentioning that the logo was used for the national event as early as 1956. The word CHISA originates from the Czech acronym for “Chemical Engineering, Chemical Equipment Design and Automation” and later became a “trade mark” for large meetings traditionally devoted to the entire area of chemical and process engineering topics, covering science, research, development and industrial practice.
From the very beginning, CHISA Congresses have emphasised especially East-West-European and later pan-European contacts. Nevertheless, the stepwise development during the last decades testifies a much larger broadening of geographical horizons.
Every even year a big international congress is taking place in Prague, every odd year a national conference is held in Srni, Sumava.